Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Biblical Communication 101

      Upon the recommendation of a mentor and friend I have read through a book by J. Grant Howard, The Trauma of Transparency: A Biblical Approach to Inter- Personal Communication. My initial reaction to the book was to notice the title: "Trauma? That's a little dramatic." This initial response was quickly followed by a thought that not only shed some light on the use of the word trauma, but also put some conviction into my own heart: "I don't like transparency... transparency is a weakness... a true man of strength does not need to let others into his life - his heart and mind." I then noticed the picture on the front cover: a suit of armor that completely covered the "man behind the mask." Not only was the individual hidden from view due to the armor, the armor was also camouflaged into the landscape behind him. Here was a man who would not let anyone in, and as such, could not let himself out.

      Howard's book was separated from other communication books because of his discussion of sin as the real root of the problems faced in communication. His description of the relationships that God, Adam, and Eve enjoyed before the Fall reminded me of my (now) eight year old sister. I remember her innocence in that she had little to no awareness of how the things of this earth could be used for evil. For her, there was no deception, manipulation, or cheating. This afforded her the freedom to say and do things in front of others that I would never think of doing because of my own pride. I was also reminded of how quickly this innocence ceased... how she didn't need to be taught to fear... how her sinful nature was enough to make her mindful of the "necessity"to meet her own needs over the needs of others (pride).

      If sin is the root of the problem, what is the solution? I will address this issue in another post, but for now I leave you with this thought that relates back to one of my initial reactions to this book: is it not transparency a show of strength rather than weakness? True strength lies in ones ability to rest secure in the knowledge that God has resolved all of the important issues in this life through the finished work of Jesus on the cross and in the empty grave. This truth ought to afford me the confidence to not listen to the lie that to truly know and be known is to open oneself to ultimate disgrace. If God has covered me with His grace, then how can I fear.

Serve the King well today,
Jonathan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment